PDA

View Full Version : Look at what Vicki Blier & I did !!

Ann K. Johnson
04-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Vicki Blier, a designer hailing from Lexington, MA, and a frequent participant of this xChange forum has given me permission to post this.

She contacted me with the attached rendering recently and asked me to fabricate it for her.

She did this simple rendering with the new G5 Gold release of dreamDraper.

The center swag in the bay window is slightly arched. All of the swags needed to be fairly long because the windows are high. But they could not overlap heavily. We didn't want to overwhelm the small space.

Vicki is a creative designer and a pleasure to work with.

Ann K. Johnson
04-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Here is the final treatment.

The fabric was a heavier polyester. It could not be cut on the bias because of the woven diamond pattern. They would have become squares. :p

The challenge was to make the treatment substantial without being too heavy or overwhelming the windows. Vicki's design is a perfect fit.

In playing with the new G5 Gold release of dreamDraper, she used the Free Distort tool to arch the two center swags (sooo simple to do). The client loved the look.

(The swags look like they are a board that curves out into the room, but that is an optical illusion. The board is flat across the front. It only curves upward at the top.)

The trim was a wide flat braid. I topstitched it on the swags, easing it around the bottom point. I hand-sewed it to the cascades so that stitching would not show on the back where the folds turn.

All in all, it was a challenging treatment. The designer/workroom relationship is a very symbiotic one. Vicki's beautiful designs make me look good. And a little effort on my part makes her look good.

If you have any questions regarding the design or fabrication, please feel free to ask. We'd be thrilled to discuss it with you here.

Vicki-DreamDraper
04-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Congratulations to both you and Vicki Blier. You do compliment each other. The design and fabrication are exquisite. It is amazing how DreamDraper brought two artists together to create a masterpiece yet you both live in different states. Beautiful job!

Best regards,
Vicki Bumstead
DreamDraper

Jennie Sandford
04-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Beautiful design, beautiful drawing and beautiful creation.
Congratulations to you both.

Jennie

cathys curtains
04-29-2009, 01:42 PM
Absolutely stunning!!

It is so much fun to design and fabricate with the help of DD!!